Soft Skills: The software developer's life manual
Extreame Savings Item! Save 47% on the Soft Skills: The software developer's life manual by Manning Publications at EMS Linux. MPN: illustrations. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. SummarySoft Skills: The software developer's life manual is a unique guide, offering techniques and practices for a more satisfying life as a
Soft Skills: The software developer's life manual is a unique guide, offering techniques and practices for a more satisfying life as a professional software developer. In it, developer and life coach John Sonmez addresses a wide range of important "soft" topics, from career and productivity to personal finance and investing, and even fitness and relationships, all from a developer-centric viewpoint.
Forewords by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) and Scott Hanselman.
Purchase of the print book includes a free eBook in PDF, Kindle, and ePub formats from Manning Publications.
About the Book
For most software developers, coding is the fun part. The hard bits are dealing with clients, peers, and managers, staying productive, achieving financial security, keeping yourself in shape, and finding true love. This book is here to help.
Soft Skills: The software developer's life manual is a guide to a well-rounded, satisfying life as a technology professional. In it, developer and life coach John Sonmez offers advice to developers on important "soft" subjects like career and productivity, personal finance and investing, and even fitness and relationships. Arranged as a collection of 71 short chapters, this fun-to-read book invites you to dip in wherever you like. A Taking Action section at the end of each chapter shows you how to get quick results. Soft Skills will help make you a better programmer, a more valuable employee, and a happier, healthier person.
- Boost your career by building a personal brand
- John's secret ten-step process for learning quickly
- Fitness advice to turn your geekiness to your advantage
- Unique strategies for investment and early retirement
About the Author
John Sonmez is a developer, teacher, and life coach who helps technical professionals boost their careers and live a more fulfilled life.
Table of Contents
- Why this book is unlike any book you've ever read
SECTION 1: CAREER
- Getting started with a "BANG!": Don't do what everyone else does
- Thinking about the future: What are your goals?
- People skills: You need them more than you think
- Hacking the interview
- Employment options: Enumerate your choices
- What kind of software developer are you?
- Not all companies are equal
- Climbing the corporate ladder
- Being a professional
- Freedom: How to quit your job
- Freelancing: Going out on your own
- Creating your first product
- Do you want to start a startup?
- Working remotely survival strategies
- Fake it till you make it
- Resumes are BORING—Let's fix that
- Don't get religious about technology
SECTION 2: MARKETING YOURSELF
- Marketing basics for code monkeys
- Building a brand that gets you noticed
- Creating a wildly successful blog
- Your primary goal: Add value to others
- Speaking, presenting, and training: Speak geek
- Writing books and articles that attract a following
- Don't be afraid to look like an idiot
SECTION 3: LEARNING
- Learning how to learn: How to teach yourself
- My 10-step process
- Steps 1-6: Do these once
- Steps 7-10: Repeat these
- Looking for mentors: Finding your Yoda
- Taking on an apprentice: Being Yoda
- Teaching: Learn you want? Teach you must.
- Do you need a degree or can you "wing it?"
- Finding gaps in your knowledge
SECTION 4: PRODUCTIVITY
- It all starts with focus
- My personal productivity plan
- Pomodoro Technique
- My quota system: How I get way more done than I should
- Holding yourself accountable
- Multitasking dos and don'ts
- Burnout: I've got the cure!
- How you're wasting your time
- The importance of having a routine
- Developing habits: Brushing your code
- Breaking things down: How to eat an elephant
- The value of hard work and why you keep avoiding it
- Any action is better than no action
SECTION 5: FINANCIAL
- What are you going to do with your paycheck?
- How to negotiate your salary
- Options: Where all the fun is
- Bits and bytes of real estate investing
- Do you really understand your retirement plan?
- The danger of debt: SSDs are expensive
- Bonus: How I retired at 33
SECTION 6: FITNESS
- Why you need to hack your health
- Setting your fitness criteria
- Thermodynamics, calories, and you
- Motivation: Getting your butt out of the chair
- How to gain muscle: Nerds can have bulging biceps
- How to get hash-table abs
- Starting RunningProgram.exe
- Standing desks and other hacks
- Tech gear for fitness: Geeking out
SECTION 7: SPIRIT
- How the mind influences the body
- Having the right mental attitude: Rebooting
- Building a positive self-image: Programming your brain
- Love and relationships: Computers can't hold your hand
- My personal success book list
- Facing failure head-on
- Parting words
|Item Weight:||1.85 pounds|
|Item Size:||1 x 9.5 x 9.5 inches|
|Package Weight:||1.85 pounds|
|Package Size:||7.48 x 1.18 x 1.18 inches|
Have questions about this item, or would like to inquire about a custom or bulk order?
If you have any questions about this product by Manning Publications, contact us by completing and submitting the form below. If you are looking for a specif part number, please include it with your message.
Related Best Sellers
mpn: 9780124104099, ean: 9780124104099, isbn: 0124104096,
Programming Language Pragmatics, Fourth Edition, is the most comprehensive programming language textbook available today. It is distinguished and acclaimed for its integrated treatment of language design and implementation, with an emphasis on the fu...
By Jones & Bartlett Learning
ean: 9781284036121, isbn: 128403612X,
A Revised and Updated Edition of the Authoritative TextThis revised and updated Third Edition of the classic text guides students through assembly language using a hands-on approach, supporting future computing professionals with the basics they need...
mpn: 9780321605788, ean: 9780321605788, isbn: 0321605780,
The First Guide to Scrum-Based Agile Product Management In Agile Product Management with Scrum, leading Scrum consultant Roman Pichler uses real-world examples to demonstrate how product owners can create successful products with Scrum. He des...
By Addison-Wesley Professional
ean: 9780134686479, isbn: 0134686470,
The Professional Product Owner’s Guide to Maximizing Value with Scrum “This book presents a method of communicating our desires, cogently, coherently, and with a minimum of fuss and bother.” —Ken Schwaber, Chairman & Founder, Scrum.or...
By Addison-Wesley Professional
mpn: 978-0-3212-0568-1, ean: 9780321205681, isbn: 0321205685,
Thoroughly reviewed and eagerly anticipated by the agile community, User Stories Applied offers a requirements process that saves time, eliminates rework, and leads directly to better software. The best way to build software that meets users' needs ...
By Bentley, Jon Louis
mpn: 9780201657883, ean: 9780201657883, isbn: 0201657880,
By Derby, Esther/ Larsen, Diana
mpn: 9780977616640, ean: 9780977616640, isbn: 0977616649,
See how to mine the experience of your software development team continually throughout the life of the project. The tools and recipes in this book will help you uncover and solve hidden (and not-so-hidden) problems with your technology, your methodo...
By Maruch, Stef/ Maruch, Aahz
mpn: 9780471778646, ean: 9780471778646, isbn: 0471778648,
Python is one of the most powerful, easy-to-read programminglanguages around, but it does have its limitations. This generalpurpose, high-level language that can be extended and embedded is asmart option for many programming problems, but a poor solu...
By Pragmatic Bookshelf
mpn: 48031906, ean: 9781680502398, isbn: 1680502395,
A single dramatic software failure can cost a company millions of dollars - but can be avoided with simple changes to design and architecture. This new edition of the best-selling industry standard shows you how to create systems that run longer, wit...
By O'Reilly Media
ean: 9781492034148, isbn: 1492034142,
Get up to speed with Prometheus, the metrics-based monitoring system used by tens of thousands of organizations in production. This practical guide provides application developers, sysadmins, and DevOps practitioners with a hands-on introduction to t...