SQL Server MVP Deep Dives, Volume 2
Super Savings Item! Save 40% on the SQL Server MVP Deep Dives, Volume 2 by Manning Publications at EMS Linux. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. SummarySQL Server MVP Deep Dives, Volume 2 is a unique book that lets you learn from the best in the business - 64 SQL Server MVPs offer completely
SQL Server MVP Deep Dives, Volume 2 is a unique book that lets you learn from the best in the business - 64 SQL Server MVPs offer completely new content in this second volume on topics ranging from testing and policy management to integration services, reporting, and performance optimization techniques...and more. About this Book
To become an MVP requires deep knowledge and impressive skill. Together, the 64 MVPs who wrote this book bring about 1,000 years of experience in SQL Server administration, development, training, and design. This incredible book captures their expertise and passion in 60 concise, hand-picked chapters and offers valuable insights for readers of all levels.
SQL Server MVP Deep Dives, Volume 2 picks up where the first volume leaves off, with completely new content on topics ranging from testing and policy management to integration services, reporting, and performance optimization. The chapters fall into five parts: Architecture and Design, Database Administration, Database Development, Performance Tuning and Optimization, and Business Intelligence.
Purchase of the print book comes with an offer of a free PDF, ePub, and Kindle eBook from Manning. Also available is all code from the book. What's Inside
- Discovering servers with PowerShell
- Using regular expressions in SSMS
- Tuning the Transaction Log for OLTP
- Optimizing SSIS for dimensional data
- Real-time BI and much more
Manning Publications and the authors of this book support the children of Operation Smile, an international children's medical charity that performs free reconstructive surgery for children suffering from facial deformities such as cleft lips and cleft palates by mobilizing medical volunteers who provide education and training programs to local doctors on the latest surgical techniques.
Table of Contents
PART 1 ARCHITECTUREEdited by Louis Davidson
- Where are my keys? by Ami Levin
- "Yes, we are all individuals"A look at uniqueness in the world of SQL by Rob Farley
- Architectural growth pains by Chris Shaw
- Characteristics of a great relational database by Louis Davidson
- Storage design considerations by Denny Cherry
- Generalization: the key to a well-designed schema by Paul Nielsen
PART 2 DATABASE ADMINISTRATION Edited by Paul Randal and Kimberly Tripp
- Increasing availability through testing by Allan Hirt
- Page restores by Gail Shaw
- Capacity planning by Greg Larsen
- Discovering your servers with PowerShell and SMO by Joe Webb
- Will the real Mr. Smith please stand up? by John Magnabosco
- Build your own SQL Server 2008 performance dashboard by Pawl Potasinski
- SQL Server cost recovery by Peter Ward
- Best practice compliance with Policy-Based Management by Rod Colledge
- Using SQL Server Management Studio to the fullest by Rodney Landrum
- Multiserver management and Utility Explorer - best tools for the DBA by Satya Shyam K. Jayanty
- Top 10 SQL Server admin student misconceptions by Tibor Karaszi
- High availability of SQL Server in the context of Service Level Agreements by Tobiasz Janusz Koprowski
PART 3 DATABASE DEVELOPMENT Edited by Paul Nielsen
- T-SQL: bad habits to kick by Aaron Bertrand
- Death by UDF by Kevin Boles
- Using regular expressions in SSMS by John Paul Cook
- SQL Server Denali: what's coming next in T-SQL by Sergio Govoni
- Creating your own data type by Hugo Kornelis
- Extracting data with regular expressions by Matija Lah
- Relational division by Peter Larsson
- SQL FILESTREAM: to BLOB or not to BLOB by Ben Miller
- Writing unit tests for Transact-SQL by Luciano Moreira
- Getting asynchronous with Service Broker by Mladen Prajdic
- Effective use of HierarchyId by Denis Reznik
- Let Service Broker help you scale your application by Allen White
PART 4 PERFORMANCE TUNING AND OPTIMIZATION Edited by Brad M. McGehee
- Hardware 201: selecting and sizing database server hardware by Glenn Berry
- Parameter sniffing: your best friend...except when it isn't by Grant Fritchey
- Investigating the plan cache by Jason Strate
- What are you waiting for? An introduction to waits and queues by Robert Pearl
- You see sets, and I see loops by Linchi Shea
- Performance-tuning the transaction log for OLTP workloads by Brad M. McGehee
- Strategies for unraveling tangled code by Jennifer McCown
- Using PAL to analyze SQL Server performance by Tim Chapman
- Tuning JDBC for SQL Server by Jungsun Kim
PART 5 BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE Edited by Greg Low
- Creating a formal Reporting Services report part library by Jessica M. Moss
- Improving report layout and visualization by Greg Low
- Developing sharable managed code expressions in SSRS by William Vaughn
- Designing reports with custom MDX queries by Paul Turley
- Building a scale-out Reporting Services farm by Edwin Sarmiento
- Creating SSRS reports from SSAS by Robert Cain
- Optimizing SSIS for dimensional data loads by Michael Coles
- SSIS configurations management by Andy Leonard
- Exploring different types of enumerators in the SSIS Foreach Loop container by Abolfazl Radgoudarzi and Shahriar Nikkhah
- Late-arriving dimensions in SSIS by John Welch
- Why automate tasks with SSIS? by Ted Krueger
- Extending SSIS using the Script component by Tim Mitchell
- ETL design checklist by Rafael Salas
- Autogenerating SSAS cubes by Johan Ahlen
- Scripting SSAS databases - AMO and PowerShell, Better Together by Darren Gosbell
- Managing context in MDX by Boyan Penev
- Using time intelligence functions in PowerPivot by Thiago Zavaschi
- Easy BI with Silverlight PivotViewer by Gogula Aryalingam
- Excel as a BI frontend tool by Pedro Perfeito
- Real-time BI with StreamInsight by Allan Mitchell
- BI solution development design considerations by Siddharth Mehta
|Item Weight:||2.5 pounds|
|Item Size:||1.2 x 9.5 x 9.5 inches|
|Package Weight:||2.56 pounds|
|Package Size:||7.48 x 1.42 x 1.42 inches|
Have questions about this item, or would like to inquire about a custom or bulk order?
If you have any questions about this product by Manning Publications, contact us by completing and submitting the form below. If you are looking for a specif part number, please include it with your message.
Related Best Sellers
mpn: Illustrations, ean: 9781597490276, isbn: 159749027X,
Over 95% of computers around the world are running at least one Microsoft product. Microsoft Windows Software Update Service is designed to provide patches and updates to every one of these computers. The book will begin by describing the feature set...
By Brand: New Riders Publishing
ean: 9780735711129, isbn: 0735711127,
SQL developers can use this resource to learn about the XML capabilities of SQL Server 2000. Focus is on XML document generation and database data insertion from XML documents. After a review of XML, coverage progresses to Document Type Definitions a...
ean: 9781590599839, isbn: 1590599837,
Knowledge and ability to apply XML are de rigueur in today's world, and SQL Server developers and administrators are no exception to that rule. Pro SQL Server 2008 XML is your key to unlocking the powerful XML feature set first introduced in SQL Serv...
By Joes 2 Pros International LLC
mpn: black & white illustrations, ean: 9781939666208, isbn: 1939666201,
The value of the database comes from the ability to get the data you want out at a time when it is needed. The role of Database Administrator includes database installation and deployments, and monitoring the system. Monitoring the system includes mo...
By Brand: Microsoft Press
ean: 9780735658189, isbn: 0735658188,
Build agile and responsive Business Intelligence solutions Analyze tabular data using the BI Semantic Model (BISM) in Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Analysis Services—and discover a simpler method for creating corporate-level BI solutions. Led by th...
By CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
ean: 9781479351152, isbn: 1479351156,
Live the American dream! Earn from $100,000 to $200,000 as a database professional. Microsoft beginning yet practical SQL (Structured Query Language) programming teach-by-practical-diagrams-&-examples illustrated book for database developers, program...
By McGraw-Hill Education
ean: 9780071760478, isbn: 0071760474,
The Definitive Guide to Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services Create, deploy, and manage business intelligence reports using the expert tips and best practices in this hands-on resource. Written by a member of the original Reporting Services d...
By CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
ean: 9781535311762, isbn: 1535311762,
Live the American dream! Earn from $100,000 to $200,000 as a database software developer. Advance your career with SQL Server 2016 T-SQL programming. When you will learn this book, you will also know SQL Server 2005/2008/2012/2014 since the book has ...
By Packt Publishing
mpn: black & white illustrations, ean: 9781849689809, isbn: 1849689806,
If you prefer the instructional approach to a lot of theory, this cookbook is for you. It takes you straight into building data cubes through hands-on recipes, helping you get to grips with SQL Server Analysis Services fast. Overview Develop Busines...
ean: 9781484223000, isbn: 1484223004,
Master Oracle GoldenGate technology on multiple database platforms using this step-by-step implementation guide. Learn about advanced features to use in building a robust, high-availability replication system. Provided are detailed illustration of Or...