Tapworthy: Designing Great iPhone Apps
Blowout Sale! Save 69% on the Tapworthy: Designing Great iPhone Apps by O'Reilly Media at EMS Linux. MPN: 978-1-4493-8165-3. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. So you've got an idea for an iPhone app -- along with everyone else on the planet. Set your app apart with elegant design, efficient usability, and a
So you've got an idea for an iPhone app -- along with everyone else on the planet. Set your app apart with elegant design, efficient usability, and a healthy dose of personality. This accessible, well-written guide shows you how to design exceptional user experiences for the iPhone and iPod Touch through practical principles and a rich collection of visual examples.
Whether you're a designer, programmer, manager, or marketer, Tapworthy teaches you to "think iPhone" and helps you ask the right questions -- and get the right answers -- throughout the design process. You'll explore how considerations of design, psychology, culture, ergonomics, and usability combine to create a tapworthy app. Along the way, you'll get behind-the-scenes insights from the designers of apps like Facebook, USA Today, Twitterrific, and many others.
Ten Tips for Crafting Your App’s Visual Identity
- Develop your ideas from initial concept to finished design
- Build an effortless user experience that rewards every tap
- Explore the secrets of designing for touch
- Discover how and why people really use iPhone apps
- Learn to use iPhone controls the Apple way
- Create your own personality-packed visuals
- Choose a personality. Don’t let your app’s personality emerge by accident. Before you start designing, choose a personality for your app. The right personality for the right audience and features makes an app irresistible and creates a bonafide emotional connection. Tapworthy designs have the power to charm and beguile.
Voices (left) has a Vaudeville personality appropriate to a funny-voices novelty app. iShots Irish Edition (right) creates a gritty dive-bar ambience for its collection of drink recipes.
- Favor standard controls. Because they’re commonplace, the standard set of controls is sometimes dismissed as visually dull. Not so fast: commonplace means familiarity and ease for your audience. Conventions are critical to instant and effortless communication. Before creating a brand new interface metaphor or inventing your own custom controls, ask whether it might be done better with the built-in gadgetry.
- A coat of paint. Standard controls don’t have to be dreary. Use custom colors and graphics to give them a fresh identity. This technique requires a light touch, however; don’t distract from the content itself or drain the meaning from otherwise familiar controls.
Wine Steward uses standard lists (known as table views in iOS) but creates a vintage ambience by draping a backdrop image across the screen. The app adds a parchment graphic to the background of each table cell, making each entry appear to be written on an aged wine label. The burgundy-tinted navigation bar maintains the app’s wine flavor.
- • You stay classy. Luxurious textures applied with taste increase your app’s perceived value.
- • Keep it real. Realistic lighting effects and colors create elements that invite touch and create an emotional attachment. They also provide subtle guidance about what your audience can interact with.
- • Borrow interface metaphors from the physical world. Lean on users’ real- world experience to create intuitive experiences. People will try anything on a touchscreen, for example, that they’d logically try on a physical object or with a mouse-driven cursor. Besides these practical benefits, using an everyday object as an interface metaphor imbues an app with the same associations that folks might have with the real McCoy--a shelf of books, a retro alarm clock, a much-used chessboard, a toy robot.
- • Don’t be afraid to take risks. Make sure your interfaces are intuitive, sure, but don’t be afraid to try something completely new and different. Designers and developers are hatching fresh iPhone magic every day, and there’s still much to explore and invent. While you should look hard at whether you might accomplish what you need to do with standard controls, it’s also worth asking, Am I going far enough?
- The app icon is your business card. The icon carries disproportionate weight in the marketing of your app, and it’s important to give it disproportionate design attention, too. Be descriptive more than artistic. Make your app icon a literal description of your app’s function, interface, name, or brand.
- Use a dull launch image. Disguise your app’s launch image as the app background for a faster perceived launch. Always cultivate the illusion of suspended animation when switching in and out of your app.
- Be kind to new users. Provide simple welcome-mat pointers for first-timers. Beware of more complex help screens; they’re warning signs of an overcomplicated interface.
Features & Highlights
- ISBN13: 9781449381653
- Condition: New
- Notes: BRAND NEW FROM PUBLISHER! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!
|Item Weight:||1.2 pounds|
|Item Size:||0.57 x 9.19 x 9.19 inches|
|Package Weight:||1.2 pounds|
|Package Size:||7 x 0.6 x 0.6 inches|
Have questions about this item, or would like to inquire about a custom or bulk order?
If you have any questions about this product by O'Reilly Media, contact us by completing and submitting the form below. If you are looking for a specif part number, please include it with your message.
Related Best Sellers
mpn: 10 black & white illustrations, biograph, ean: 9781484204405, isbn: 1484204409,
Swift Quick Syntax Reference is a condensed code and syntax reference to the new Apple Swift programming language, which is the alternative new programming language alongside Objective-C behind the APIs found in the Apple iOS SDK 8 and OS X Yosemite ...
By O'Reilly Media
ean: 9781491940747, isbn: 1491940743,
Get hands-on experience with Apple’s Swift programming language by building real working apps. With this practical guide, skilled programmers with little or no knowledge of Apple development will learn how to code with Swift 2 by developing three c...
ean: 9781430235217, isbn: 1430235217,
Microsoft Excel 2011 for Mac OS X is a powerful application, but many of its most impressive features can be difficult to find. Learn Excel 2011 for Mac by Guy Hart-Davis is a practical, hands-on approach to learning all of the details of Excel 20...
By Buck, Erik M./ Yacktman, Donald A.
mpn: 9780321535023, ean: 9780321535023, isbn: 0321535022,
“Next time some kid shows up at my door asking for a code review, this is the book that I am going to throw at him.” –Aaron Hillegass, founder of Big Nerd Ranch, Inc., and author of Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X Unlocking the Secrets ...
By O'Reilly Media
mpn: 42055396, ean: 9781491944745, isbn: 1491944749,
Do you want to build mobile games, but lack game development experience? No problem. This practical guide shows you how to create beautiful, interactive content for iOS and Android devices with the Unity game engine.Authors Jon Manning and Paris Butt...
By Brand: O'Reilly Media
mpn: 978-1-4493-8976-5, ean: 9781449389765, isbn: 1449389767,
How can you make your iPhone or iPad app stand out in the highly competitive App Store? While many books simply explore the technical aspects of iPhone and iPad app design and development, App Savvy focuses on the business, product, and marketing ele...
ean: 9781484238349, isbn: 1484238346,
Starting an app development company is one of the most rewarding things you’ll ever do. Or it sends you into bankruptcy and despair. If only there was a guide out there, to help you along the way. This book is your guide to starting, running, expa...
By CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
ean: 9781985779785, isbn: 1985779781,
Stop trying to write Swift as if it were Objective-C, and start using powerful, modern technologies such as functional programming, protocol-oriented programming, lazy variables, enum associated values, operator overloading and more. 100% ADVANCED: Y...
By O REILLY
mpn: 47223195, ean: 9781680502350, isbn: 1680502352,
Discover the do's and don'ts involved in crafting readable Swift code as you explore common Swift coding challenges and the best practices that address them. From spacing, bracing, and semicolons to proper API style, discover the whys behind each rec...
ean: 9781484234280, isbn: 1484234286,
Learn Objective-C and its latest release, and learn how to mix Swift with it. You have a great idea for an app, but how do you bring it to fruition? With Objective-C, the universal language of iPhone, iPad, and Mac apps. Using a hands-on approach, ...